For many years, Danish Crown has been working to become more sustainable. We have accelerated this work in close collaboration with our farmers, suppliers and customers. Every day, we are one step closer to reaching our ambitious sustainability goals.
Even the best can be better…
We are already well on our way to achieving our 2030 goal; 100% of our Danish pork comes from climate controlled farms, and Denmark is one of the lowest users of antibiotics in farming in the world. In fact, Denmark has lowered its use of antibiotics in pig production by 29% from 2009 to 2018, despite production increasing over this period.
Having all signed up for our sustainability certification programme, The Climate Track, our Danish pig farmers have defined actions and goals to transform their farm into a more sustainable operation, and these are monitored to ensure they are on track.
The main levers we are tackling in order to reduce our climate impact are; feed and manure management, animal welfare, waste reduction, energy & water reduction, packaging innovation and transportation. We have made significant progress in reducing our climate impact, but this is only the beginning.
At the farms
- Feed management
- Manure management
- Reduction of antibiotics
- Renewable energy sources
At the production sites
- Reduction of plastic usage
- Reduction of energy and water usage
- No waste philosophy
- Transport efficiencies
Our latest progress
- By 2030, 50% of Danish Crown farmers and suppliers will deliver manure for degasification at biogas plants
- We are working towards 70% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions through intelligent manure management by 2030
- Danish Crown requires all Danish farmers and suppliers feed their animals with 100% responsibly produced and certified soy by 2025
- Farmers are working to ensure that up to 30% of the protein in animal feed comes from local protein sources by 2025
- For decades, our Danish farmers have focused on optimising the feeding of the pigs, and this has contributed to reducing the carbon footprint per kg pork by 27% since 2005, and 43% since 1990
To find out more about the sustainable actions we are taking across our whole business, visit our Sustainability page:
The Climate Track
Together with our farmers we have introduced The Climate Track, an official Sustainability Certification Programme, which we have invited all of our suppliers to be a part of. 100% of our Danish Crown pig farms have now signed up to the programme. Farmers in the programme are responsible for measuring their success based on the following criteria;
- Manure management
- Reduced use of antibiotics
- Sustainable feed
- Animal Welfare
- Innovation and new technology